Table of Contents
- 1 Hand Held Prismacolor Premier Pencil Sharpener
- 2 Pros
- 3 Cons
- 4 STAEDTLER pencil sharpener, premium quality sharpener with screw-on lid, prevents accidental openings, compact size for pencil case and work-station, 511 63BK
- 5 Staedtler 512 001 ST Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener
- 6 Electric Pencil Sharpener, Battery-Powered, Batteries Included, High-Speed Automatic, best for Colored and No. 2 Wood Graphite Pencils, for Home Office School Classroom Adults Kids (White/Pink)
If you are a proud owner of Prismacolor soft colored pencils, or Faber-Castell Polychromos or any other big brand. Then it is for sure that you need a suitable pencil sharpener, you will probably seek for a Prismacolor pencil sharpener if you own them.
Or maybe pencil sharpener especially for Faber-Castell colored pencils. And that is perfectly fine, and it is totally normal. And in most cases is the best choice to pick brand related pencil sharpeners, and they will give you the best performance. And that is what you must seek for, best performance. When you seek for a great sharpener, you can’t be satisfied with the good performance of that pencil sharpener. Only perfect performance can be your first and final option!
When you seek for a great sharpener, you can’t be satisfied with the good performance of that pencil sharpener. Only perfect performance can be your first and final option!
Sets of Prismas and Polys are very expensive, and you can’t afford to waste them by bad sharpeners. Bad sharpeners can easily destroy gentle soft leads, or even split barrels of the pencils!
Prismacolor, Derwent, Pablos, Mitsubishi and Faber Castell are professional colored pencils, and they deserve to be treated like that.
On the market, there are some high durable electric pencil sharpeners, and they will sharpen your pencils professional way. But what if you go to the park to draw outdoor? You will need a sharpener that you can bring with you, without of need of electricity. And that is when you can pick three ways of sharpening, and you just must pick your style.
- With a Knife – this is very nice technique, and if you know how to do it is recommend a way of sharpening of colored or graphite pencils. Some of recommending are.
- By Hand Crank Pencil Sharpener – in this category fall all Prismacolor pencil sharpener, Derwent pencil sharpener, Faber Castell pencil sharpener, General
- Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener – Today battery operated pencils sharpeners are very powerful, and many artists hold them in the bag.
Have in mind that manufacturers of colored pencils recommend electric pencil sharpener. But don’t pick low-quality electric sharpener, because they will chew up your pencils.
But let’s return to the topic of this article. We will have a main focus on a handheld pencil sharpener. To pick good pencil sharpener for your gentle colored pencils or graphite pencils, they must provide you with next performance points correctly
- The sharp tip of the lead or the blunt rounded – this is evident, and that is the main job of a pencil sharpener. With bad sharpener you will never get a perfectly sharp tip, maybe in first few sharpening you will. But that will last a short time because the blade will soon be dull. It is recommended to have set of spare blades all the time, so you can have high performance all the time. Even if you own top class pencil sharpener, blades are an expendable part. So you must count that in. And some artist doesn’t prefer sharp tip, they like to have a rounded blunt tip.
- Clean barrel – by that we mean we don’t want to have chips brake on the barrel which can lead to splitting of a pencil. And it can be dangerous to hurt yourself when you switch pencils, sharp pencil barrel is something you should avoid. Make sure that your pencil sharpener is not aggressive on your barrel, because it will lead to a result as you see on the image bellow.
- The angle of the blade – and this is very important if not the most important thing to consider, on the image you can see which angle is good for your soft colored pencils. There are known two different ways of angles for sharpening pencils, wide and narrow. For soft colored pencils and also soft graphite pencils is recommended to sharpen wide. That way lead remains supported by the barrel, and chances of breaking the tip are the minimum. If you choose to sharpen narrow you should use light strokes, to keep your pencil tip “alive”. Narrow way of sharpening is great for harder pencils because they are not so sensitive.
|Size||2 x 3.6 x 5.5 inches ; 1.8 ounces|
|Electric / Manual||Manual|
|Blades exchangeable Yes / No||Yes|
|Types of sharpening||Wide, Narrow|
The name says all, it is for Prismacolor colored pencil. True, it will work fine with all types of Prismacolor pencils like Premier Verithin, and many others colored pencils brands. But the main purpose of this pencil sharpener is to keep sharpened your soft colored pencils. If you plan to sharpen your new unsharpened pencil, then be prepared to empty small compartment. It is not too big, so if you go with heavy sharpening you will waste time on emptying shavings. This sharpener is mostly designed to keep your pencils sharp, not for large sharpening. Prismacolor Premier Verithin comes unsharpened, so with them, it’s better to use an electric pencil sharpener.
STAEDTLER pencil sharpener, premium quality sharpener with screw-on lid, prevents accidental openings, compact size for pencil case and work-station, 511 63BK
1 used from $ 25.01
- Premium quality sharpener ensures you never have a "dull" moment in the office, at school, or around the house!
- Metal sharpener with secure screw-on lid prevents accidental opening
- Assorted colors adds a fun surprise to every order
- Blister card of 1 sharpener
- Each sharpener is compact and portable; perfect for a pencil case and work-station
Staedtler 512 001 ST Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener
$5.25 in stock
1 used from $ 3.07
- Staedtler Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener
- 2 Hole(s)
- Blue, Silver
Electric Pencil Sharpener, Battery-Powered, Batteries Included, High-Speed Automatic, best for Colored and No. 2 Wood Graphite Pencils, for Home Office School Classroom Adults Kids (White/Pink)
$12.99 in stock
- COMPACT CORDLESS hand-held size works with all your pencils. Small, quiet and portable so you can travel with it anywhere. Shavings bin locks closed making spills impossible: just throw it in your bag and go. Powerful and fast despite its size: top-off your dull pencil in about 1s, sharpen a new pencil in just 5 seconds. Sharpen like a pro.
- BATTERIES and SPARE BLADE INCLUDED. Two AA batteries are included so you can start using your sharpener immediately. Spare blade included: sharpen 100's and 100's of pencils. Great back to school gift.
- SAFE. Blade can not operate when shavings bin cover is open. Cordless battery operated design means no worries about AC power, USB adapters, electronic cords, etc. Foam rubber feet protect your desk or work surface and hold the sharpener steady while sharpening.
- SHARPENS ALL standard 8mm diameter graphite and colored pencils with ease and speed; works with both round and hex shaped pencils. Tested with popular wood cased graphite and colored pencils such as those from Dixon Ticonderoga, Colore, AmazonBasics, Staples, OfficeDepot, Prismacolor, Crayola, Sargent Art, Color Doodle, Vincis and more. NOT for woodless pencils.
- PATENTED two-mode operation: battery or manual. When batteries are dead, or you want a precision manual sharpening job, just flip the switch to hand mode and sharpen your pencils manually. 100% satisfaction guarantee: if you're not happy, we're not happy.